Printed Circuits- A Boon For Electronic System And Industry
Printed circuit boards are the ones that act as a foundation for most of the appliances or devices based on electrical or electronic engineering. It not only supports the entire system but also is a wiring area for the wires on the surface along with the components connected to socket. These are mostly made of Fibreglass, epoxy or other compound materials.
Though PCBs are mostly associated with the computers still they are present in electronic and electrical devices like Radios, digital cameras, TVs and cell phones. Apart from the use of PCBs in electronics and electrical field, these boards are used in various fields such as Medical devices, Automotive industries, Industrial machinery and many more.
As we all are aware of the major part that the electronic and electrical industries play in our contemporary lives, we have somehow become dependent on these for our comforts. This dependency makes these circuit boards ‘omnipresent’ and hence, they are also the major contributors in the easy and comfortable lives that we live. These circuit boards come in wide array of designs that make it almost vulnerable to nothing. These circuit boards, hence, serve entirely different functions when used in different devices.
As a recent survey revealed, PCBs in Canada have taken over most of the major fields related to science, technology, development and many more. Still printed circuits are being adopted by any new Industry of the market. This proves the promising technical development that these printed circuits carry are just the beginning. Printed circuits usually connect internal components of any machinery through a series of different circuits related to it in terms of functioning.
These printed circuits are easily recognizable as these chips are of green color and are present at the center of any electronic. The flexibility of printed circuits due to their versatile designs and work-purposes allows them to function at varied capacities and places.
Some of the applications of the Printed Circuits (PCBs) are listed below:
1. General Electronic/Electrical Devices – It can also be termed as consumer electronics. It is inclusive of the devices that are used in our day-to-day lives like computers and smart-phones. Nowadays even the refrigerators are comprised of these circuits in order to function precisely.
As there is a rise in the demand of these general electronic/electrical devices, there has been a significant increase in the pcb assembly and pcb manufacturing. The pricing here is always in-budget as these printed circuits are ordered in bulk and hence, the cost of the final product is usually low.
The various electronic devices in which these printed circuits are used are as follows:
• Mobile devices- An integral part of the modern day human routine. It acts as everything ranging in-between, a medium to talk to close ones to finding your way, the moment you get lost somewhere.
• Computers- The printed circuits are present at the heart of the computer systems and laptops. These circuit boards are also present in the programmed devices that are associated with the computer features or uses.
• Recorders – Digital cameras and DSLR cameras nowadays, are equipped with printed circuits to function.
• Home Appliances- The printed circuit are present in most of the electronic/electrical appliances for example, Digital clocks, refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers and many more.
• Entertainment Systems– Your entire entertainment system that ranges from video players to home theaters, every device is equipped with Printed circuits.
2. Automotive Industry- The Modern era marks the advent of highly developed automotive sector. The present generation cars come equipped with electronic control unit (ECUs) that provides an accurate and immediate response to the driver’s demands.
This electronic system is employed in the car to provide a single handed control over all the equipment’s in an automobile which were to be operated manually earlier. As PCBs work with optimally high-frequency signals with the likes of radio frequencies, MM waves or microwave, they can be used to employ sensors at various parts in an automobile. The sensors are present in cruise control, safety features, avoiding accidents, inflating the airbags.
This electronic system not only provides a safe drive but also provides a smooth and luxurious driving experience.
A few common uses that the printed circuits are capable of meeting are:
• Control Systems- Every control system in an automobile be it related to power supplies, use of these printed circuit based systems are used to monitor and manage the resources of that automotive. Few control systems are capable enough to drive an entire automobile for the user in some situations. These powerful systems use obstacle detection system to become able in doing so.
• Entertainment Devices- The devices of a car that are used for entertainment purpose be it of audio or video format depend entirely on the printed circuits used in their built. In the mid 21st century, many modern and hi-tech cars marked the introduction of advanced dashboards. These advanced dashboards offer the customers with a superior connectivity amongst their mobile devices and other entertainment devices as well.
• Navigation Control – This feature of a car is solely dependent on the waves that are transmitted by the circuit. Maps and GPS are able to navigate the drivers through the difficult or new routes that they encounter.
• The Monitor System- The Modern day automotive, due to the desired ease and sharpness by the driver, are equipped with printed circuits that usually help the automotive to monitor the entire vicinity and point out the obstacles that might obstruct your safe journey.
The pcb design has to be according to the part where the circuit is to be employed. For example the flexible pcbs are used at places where there are extreme vibrations.
3. Medical Industry – Modern day health-care systems have electronics playing a crucial and important role. This role is not only limited to diagnostic field but is also employed to monitor and treating the patients. As the electronic systems are layered out upon every new exploration, they have the efficiency to evolve leading to new possibilities every now and then.
PCBs in the medical industry are so precise that they fit into every unique specification of a machine. Ranging from diagnosing a disease to treating it, every aspect of the industry is covered by these electronic devices. This is the reason behind the HDI (High-density interconnect) PCBs’ use. The high density of interconnection provides a better and precise result. In medical industry printed circuit with flexible base are used in order to provide clearance.
Due to health regulations, this pcb design is made to meet higher standards than most of the types of pcbs. The chip should be reliable and repeatable enough to be in compliance with the medical regulations.
The most common uses of pcbs in medical industry are:
• Monitor- Most of the pressures changes that appear during the functioning or treating. This monitoring includes, checking the glucose levels, blood pressures and maybe a death (the cause of death).
• Instruments- This industry uses various complex instruments to measure the test patient outcomes and study the disease. The devices included are electronic photometers, control systems, microscopes and many more.
• Scanners- CT scanners, Endoscopy devices, cardiographs, ultrasonic technology and many instruments are PCB based.
• Internal devices- The devices that are used to keep people alive when the doctors supplement the patients’ bodies. Pacemakers are amongst many devices that are used to supplement the body from getting a heart failure.
• Control Systems- It regulates the fluid flow and decides its infusion and dispensation.
4. Industrial Applications- The use of PCBs is quite common these days; especially its industrial use has provided ease to the consumers and workers. The electronic chips and systems are involved in the construction works, factories and mechanical workshops. A proper control over the entire system can be attained via electronic chips/printed circuits.
The most common uses are-
• Measuring Equipment’s
• Power Equipment’s- Power inverters and convertors, solar power generators are controlled by the electronic control unit.
5. Aerospace- The use of PCBs in this field requires a high precision and durability. The high turbulence during the entire process might be too much for the rigid PCBs. Hence, like the automotive sector this sector also employs flexi-PCBs in order to sustain the vibrations at high pressures as these PCBs are light-weighted and vibration resistant.
Apart from being durable these PCBs are highly precise and accurate with an optimal functioning. Some common applications of the aerospace PCBs are-
• Monitoring equipment’s – Instruments such as pressure sensors, accelerometers, microphones and various kinds of other sensors have PCBs for their better functioning. The monitoring equipment used in the cockpits of rockets as well as aircraft are equipped with PCBs to get a précised result.
• Testing Equipment’s – PCBs are also involved in the testing of the air machineries after they are being developed. PCB is even present in the equipments used for gathering statics of a flight machine during its entire procedure starting from vibrations to the entire flight simulation.
Apart from these basic uses it is also useful in-
• The Telecommunication industry
• The Information Technology Industry
• Residential projects
• Security industry
• Broadcasting and communication industry
Listed above, are some of the wide usage criteria for the usage of printed circuits in electronic and electrical industry.