Innovations in PCB Assembly for Modern Medicine
Modern Medicine & Medical equipment are experiencing a paradigm shift due to the ever-increasing needs of consumers. This has led to trailblazing innovations in PCB Assembly to develop functional medical equipment for ease of use & increased functionality.
Electronics & its allied aspects are an integral part of the path-breaking evolution of modern medicine. The rapid modernization of technology is bringing forth futuristic healthcare with improved & updated equipment. Traditional monitoring systems are making way for Tablets, Smartphones & iPads to ensure better recording & monitoring.
With a simple click on the smartphone, patients can get in touch with medical experts for an effortless diagnosis. Doctors can check patients real-time status via interactive tablets rather than traditional monitoring by nurses. Read on to know about the role of PCB Assembly in Modern Medicine & various modern medical equipment.
What is PCB Assembly ?
PCBA or Printed Circuit Board Assembly is the joining/soldering of electrical components to a Printed Circuit Board. PCBA primarily includes:
- PCB Design
- Development of PCB model as per the equipment/device.
Conditions for PCB assembly process:
The PCB Assembly procedure is based on varied conditions like:
- Electronic components & its characteristics.
- Purpose of the PCB for a specific device.
- Classification of Circuit Board.
Collection of components for PCB assembly process:
All the necessary components must be collected for assembly. Important parts include:
- Printed Circuit Board
- Components that need to be soldered.
- Soldering ingredients such as paste, solder wire or bar & its original material.
- Equipment for Soldering like soldering station, testing & SMT equipment.
Initiating PCB assembly process:
Now, Assembling the PCB for a particular device can be done. Major processes of the PCBA include:
- Few components have leg-like structures (protruding leads) that fit into PCB holes.
- Once the components are fitted, soldering can be done.
- Cleaning & testing must be done after soldering.
- If errors are found in the assembled PCB, the necessary steps must be taken to rectify them.
- Two Soldering processes are used namely :-
- Traditional Soldering
- Wave Soldering
Surface Mount Technology – One of the best PCB assembly process:
- This Surface-mount technology does not include protruding leads for fitting.
- As the name suggests, components are easily fitted on PCBs.
- SMT components are termed as Surface Mount Devices (SMDs).
- The technology utilizes an entirely different set of equipment, soldering items & components.
- This technology is regarded as one of the best assembly processes due to easier automation, affordability, dynamic use, less space requirement, improved density & efficiency.
- A few circuit board manufacturers in Canada use this method for modern medical equipment.
How does the PCB Assembly contribute to Modern Medicine ?
Innovations have resulted in increased demand for functional yet futuristic medical equipment for automated monitoring & diagnosis. Some of the prominent applications of Medical PCBs are:
- Monitoring devices – Body temperature monitor
Apart from these major applications, prototype PCB assembly techniques are being used by PCB manufacturing Canada to develop future ready medical equipment.
Categories of Medical Devices implementing PCB Assembly:
Here are a few medical devices using the PCB manufacturing and assembly process:
Medical Implants :
Some of the implantable medical devices are:
- Implants that help hearing-impaired people – Cochlear Implant.
- Implants assisting Cardiac problem patients – Defribilliator Implant.
- Implants aiding Epilepsy prone patients – Responsive Neuro stimulator (RNS)
Monitoring Equipment :
Monitoring devices for integrating PCB manufacturing and assembly methods for detecting bodily phenomenon are :
- Glucose monitors
- Pressure monitors
- Temperature monitors
Some of the popular circuit card assembly imaging devices are:
- Ultrasound devices
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Computerized Axial Tomography (CT) Scan
Other Medical Equipment:
Other Modern Medical devices using PCBs are:
- Nerve Stimulator Unit
- Heart Monitor
- Infusion Fluid control
- EMG systems
A Medical Equipment Manufacturer’s Pre-Requisites:
There are three requisites that modern PCB Assembly methods in medical equipment should take care of:
Purpose – The device to be manufactured needs to have a specific purpose & a target audience with comprehensive solutions.
Functionality – Accuracy, functionality & efficiency to provide optimum products for consumers.
Flexibility – Traditional medical equipment were rigid. But, modern technology can cross the barriers & implement sophisticated technology in small devices reducing space.
There are a few PCB Manufacturers in Canada who utilize ground-breaking PCB Assembly methods for Modern Medical equipment. Some of the specialized technologies used for this process include Surface-mount technology, Electronic Assembly, Through-hole Manufacturing with proper testing & inspection. These efficient technologies result in durable medical equipment with world-class functionalities which can be used for better diagnosis & monitoring of patients.